Lockharts Spirit of the Land Festival - calling all artists!
The Lockharts Spirit of the Land Festival is a colourful and vibrant celebration of the land, held on Saturday and Sunday, 8 & 9 October in the heart of the Riverina. More than 5000 people visit the festival every year to enjoy the artistic sculptures, fine arts and photography, lively markets, boutique stalls, vivid open gardens, music and entertainment.
The festival is well known for the celebration of the arts and all artists are welcome to participate in the Spirit of the Land Arts Festival with a prize pool of $20,000. The Arts Festival includes two exhibitions, Sculptures and Fine Arts. and attracts high calibre artists from all across Australia.
The exhibition categories are:
- National Farm Art Sculpture Award
- The major award is the $10,000 National Farm Art Sculpture Award, sponsored by Lockhart Shire Council. The sculptures should showcase and capture the uniqueness of the Australian landscape, flora, fauna, and lifestyle of living on the land. These sculptures can be created from any medium. It is a non-acquisitive award, and award winners will retain ownership of their artwork. The winning piece must stay on display in the Lockhart Shire for a period of twelve months. The Sculpture must be created predominately from metal and the re-use of old machinery and farm equipment is encouraged.
- Creative Cocky AwardThis award is for art that has to have been made by a practising or retired farmer, that clearly show the origin of the steel. Pieces in this category could be refashioned farm scrap metal, but this is not mandatory. In this prize category 'imagination’ is the goal.
- Local Artist Award For artists who reside within 50 km of Lockhart.
- Small Sculpture Award (
- For sculptures of less than one square metre.
- Youth Artist Award
- For sculptors who are under 18 years of age.
- Spirit of the Land Award
- For a sculpture created from natural elements that reflect the unique Australian landscape.
Please read the Awards Criteria for specific criteria relating to each award.
2. Fine Arts Awards
- Spirit of the Land and its People Award
- Open for art works that celebrate the spirit of the land, its people, flora, fauna, and lifestyle of living on the land and their important connection to each other. Any medium excluding photography.
- Open Section AwardThis is an open section and may depict subject matter of the artist’s choice. Any medium excluding photography.
3. Fine Arts Photography Award
- Spirit of the Land Photography Prize
- Striking photographic prints encompassing landscape, portrait, and people. The prize will be awarded to the image that best captures “Australian Spirit of the Land”.
Finally, in the sculpture and fine arts exhibitions there are two People’s Choice Awards, one for each exhibition space, Fine Arts and Sculpture.
Registration is open to emerging and established artists who can exhibit in any or all categories. There is no limitation on the number of entries. Entries close on Friday 30 September.
Installation of artworks will be on Thursday 6 October, judging is on Friday 7 October, and the Festival officially opens on Friday evening with a preview of exhibitions and Awards Presentation evening.
For more information please visit